Daily Bread Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January 4th

4 posters

Go down

January 4th Empty January 4th

Post  Anthony Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:27 pm

HELP YOURSELF
Anthony
Anthony
Admin

Back to top Go down

January 4th Empty Re: January 4th

Post  Anthony Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

As the old adage states, "Money can't buy happiness."

Today's lesson is a good one. In today's society it's quite easy to get wrapped up in a chase for more wealth and notoriety. I've met people in my life who are doing quite well financially, but are quite miserable inside. The opposite is also true, with some of the most intrinsically happy people being quite poor.

As both the verse and message touch on, true happiness is only found in the Lord. I felt this when going through the daily Bible those few years back, and I also notice this diminish the busier I get in life and the more wrapped up I get in the stresses of work. This is a constant battle for me and what makes exercises such as this one so important. cheers
Anthony
Anthony
Admin

Back to top Go down

January 4th Empty Such a simple concept, but...

Post  carlossardo Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:25 pm

You would think that following God's lead would be so easy, but it's tough. We are raised in a culture that emphasizes that he who has the most toys wins. We are constantly in competition for jobs, status, and recognition. The older I get the easier it is to see that none of these are as important as my relationship with God. If I wanted to be really selfish, I would work on my relationship with God assuring my happiness. Ironic isn't it. Shocked I'm hoping that this daily exercise of looking at God's word while sharing it with my family will draw me closer to Him. The concept is so simple; it makes me think of the old song Trust and Obey. So the big question is what does putting God first look like in middle class America? Hmm... Or does cultural setting even matter? I better stop here, I'm starting to ask more questions than giving answers. Looking forward to your insights. I really enjoyed yesterday's chat, especially the comments from Haley and Eric Very Happy , keep them up.
carlossardo
carlossardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheri Sardo Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm

I think the key to "Helping yourself to happiness" is found in the first 2 verses of today's scripture. "Praise the Lord oh my soul. I will praise The Lord all my life". I know, it's easier to recite these verses then it is to always put them into practice. This past fall a friend helped me to practice this concept on a regular basis. She told me when she was a little girl her mother began each day with Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it". Recite that verse every morning and really mean it and its hard to not find happiness in your day. Tricia also taught me a lesson several years ago when she kept repeating "happiness is a choice, we chose to be happy or to not be happy". With the help of Psalm 118:24 I choose to be happy! Keith (and Tricia and Denise too) I now wish I would have followed up your wake up song with Psalm 118:24.[img][/img]

Sheri Sardo

Back to top Go down

January 4th Empty let us rejoice and be glad

Post  ksardo Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Mom, I think you did sing Psalm 118:24 more than you remember.

This is something that has been a huge issue in my little family: Happiness. Like y'all have said, it's definitely a choice, but there is also a way. And that's what this is all about. Love it.
ksardo
ksardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down