Daily Bread Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February 13th

3 posters

Go down

February 13th Empty February 13th

Post  Anthony Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 pm

A Small Sacrifice
Anthony
Anthony
Admin

Back to top Go down

February 13th Empty Re: February 13th

Post  carlossardo Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm

I remember growing up Catholic we always had to tell the Nuns at school what we were giving up for Lent. In elementary school we all took it very seriously. By Junior High it became a burden and by High School it was a joke. As a child I couldn't appreciate the true meaning of the practice especially since it seemed forced by our teachers. Though we are incapable of truly grasping the concept of Jesus' sacrifice it still seems like a positive exercise that helps us remember the occasion. That makes today Ash Wednesday. Another symbolic day that is more appreciated, although messy, by adults than children. These are all simple reminders of the humility we must have when thinking of our relationship with God.
carlossardo
carlossardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricia Saba Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 pm

The kids aren't posting today because they were not sure what to say. However, we had a great discussion about Ash Wednesday and Lent. Since the kids school is next to a very popular Catholic Church, teachers were given subs to attend Ash Wed. services and kids had "stuff" on their heads, this lead to at great talk about the importance of today. Until more recently I couldn't appreciate all Catholic traditions, they seemed ritualistic and odd. Having just (today) read about the Israelites and all the different ways God has to remind them of His goodness and power and all the cleansing and sacrifices God requires of them to help them remember. I have come to realize that one of the purposes of these things is so that we stay focused on what and who is important. Now Ash Wednesday doesn't seem so odd.
Tricia Saba
Tricia Saba

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 am

In today's story the man didn't want to give up his money. For some it's drugs, others alcohol, coke zero, etc. We all have things that are hard to let go...

That's all I got today. I'm beat. Suspect
Anthony
Anthony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down