Daily Bread Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

July 22nd

4 posters

Go down

July 22nd Empty July 22nd

Post  Anthony Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 pm

More, More, More
Anthony
Anthony
Admin

Back to top Go down

July 22nd Empty Re: July 22nd

Post  Tricia Saba Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 am

Although I can not relate to the needing to shop analogy because as my mother can attest, shopping makes me ill. I do understand that the parable is trying to tell us to cultivate a relationship with God, abide in Him and stop chasing the things that do not help us develop a better relationship with God.
Although right this minute I can not think of an example of this in my life today, I am sure there are many and I am too tired right now to think. I am going to pray that God make me aware of the ways that I store earthly treasures and not heavenly relationships. My time is probably the biggest example...
Tricia Saba
Tricia Saba

Back to top Go down

Post  carlossardo Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 am

Interesting enough, this has been a topic I've been thinking about of late. We work so much to gain possessions and then work even more to maintain them and keep them.  "Life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” It seems like such a simple concept yet so contrary to our American culture and most cultures around the world. I was thinking on how Tricia's life has changed since moving to Newport Beach. While losing many possessions, she has been able to do more with and for her family.

This also reminds me of stories my mother would tell me about growing up so poor and even being homeless at some point. Even while living in great poverty she would share that her happiest memories and time were when her life was simple with little complexities. Perhaps many of our challenges come from the complexities we have created by our greed. Suspect
carlossardo
carlossardo

Back to top Go down

Post  ksardo Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:57 am

It is interesting too because, until Jesus, the Jews saw material wealth as a direct sign of God's blessing. Combine that with all of the admonition to work hard, and it's easy to see how we have gotten to a consumer state. I struggle with this all the time. And my fondest memories generally have little to do with material things, and are often of a time when I had very little. But poverty can also be sinfully aspired to. In the end, there is no holiness in your bank account balance, big or small.
ksardo
ksardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down