Daily Bread Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January 20th

4 posters

Go down

January 20th Empty January 20th

Post  Anthony Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 pm

A SONG TO REMEMBER
Anthony
Anthony
Admin

Back to top Go down

January 20th Empty A Small Issue in our Church Today

Post  carlossardo Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Our church has departed from the practice of singing the classic hymns which are based on scripture. Instead they have opted for more modern praise songs that while uplifting do not help me remember God's word. Since this seems to just be common sense, why aren't more church leaders aware of this? We are so concerned with reaching a younger crowd or doing the popular thing that we fail to remember the importance of memorizing scripture.
carlossardo
carlossardo

Back to top Go down

January 20th Empty SING TO THE LORD

Post  ksardo Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

The trend away from hymns/scripture is toward "emotional" songs. I don't think this is always to attract the young, although some think that will work. Look at most of the largest gatherings of young Christians - they are returning to the basics of the Gospel: Christ crucified. That is what people want/need to hear. Some of the biggest names in Christian music are returning to scripture-based lyrics, and the biggest trend right now is to set a hymn to modern instruments.

We unknowingly visited one of these "never-read-from-the-Bible" and "never-say-Jesus-out-loud" churches in Santa Clarita. It was full of middle-aged parents (TONS of single mothers) who all had one thing in common: a bad experience with the church and/or Christians that just wanted a feel-good message.

Music is a tool. It can be used in so many ways, but it is amazing how much it can help us remember. I love it when I read the Bible and realize, "Hey, isn't this a song?" And, yes, we should use music more to remember scripture. Any good song recommendations?
ksardo
ksardo

Back to top Go down

January 20th Empty iTunes

Post  ksardo Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:38 pm

I just looked up "hymns" on iTunes. There is everything from WOW Hymns (various modern artists), to Mormon TC, and even Johnny Cash's "My Mother's Hymn Book"!!!
ksardo
ksardo

Back to top Go down

January 20th Empty Re: January 20th

Post  Anthony Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:43 pm

I enjoy Christian music. Although not always following hymns or Bible verses, I love listening to Mercy Me and a few others. Listen to the song "Word of God speak" by Mercy Me and tell me you aren't inspired!

Having said that, and admitting that Sunday morning messages should focus their attention on the Bible, I believe it's the overall message of the song that's most important, regardless of wether or not the lyrics are pulled from the Bible... although a healthy dose of both are best.
Anthony
Anthony
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheri Sardo Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Yesterday as grandpa (Carlos) and I were discussing today's reading with Haley she began singing Isaiah 55:8 to us. It must be very pleasing to God to hear his children adoring him by singing scripture.

Sheri Sardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down